Thursday, February 7, 2008

It's A Lipstick Jungle, But The Shades Are All The Same


Lipstick Jungle, the new primetime series based on the 2005 Candace Bushnell novel of the same name, premiers tonight at 10pm. This highly-anticipated show about has drawn comparisons to Sex and The City. And its stars (Brooke Shields, Lindsay Price, and Kim Raver) have been on quite the media blitz lately, including several promotional appearances at Fashion Week’s hottest runway shows.

How many of you will be watching? I’m still on the fence. On the one hand, SATC is one of my all-time faves, and I’m hoping that Lipstick will be a satisfactory successor. But at the same time, why is it that this genre always seems so white-washed?

Yeah, I am aware that Lindsay Price (whose mom is Korean) is on the show, and Cashmere Mafia’s got Lucy Liu…but how come there’s never a brown girl on any of these programs? News flash, TV execs: an African-American socialite/fashionista/successful career-woman is not an oxymoron.

I mean, damn – give me a pair of Jimmy Choo’s and I’ll represent!

No comments:

Post a Comment