Monday, May 17, 2010

Herb Garden

Geia sas everyone! I know its been a little while since i posted but i was busy finishing up my finals, which by the way i PASSED!! I am so excited & relieved to have passed them...& now i have more time to blog & do stuff i actually want to do! But i have also been busy planting my herb garden which is coming along nicely. It is mostly done except i still have to plant dill & possibly sage. But so far i have Greek Oregano, Thyme, Chives, Sweet Basil, Mammoth Basil, Parsley, & Cilantro. All of which are heavily used in my house. I had the idea for an herb garden right outside my patio door, which required the pulling/digging up of some really tough bushes. But we worked hard & dug them up as well as placing a brick wall on one side (because its on a hill). My mom has a big garden near the back of our yard where she had Oregano, Thyme, & Chives plants that she covered & made it all winter, so we moved those to the herb garden (the others are all seeded).

Above are closer up pictures of the Greek Oregano, Thyme, & Chives because my pictures are not up close. I will take more picture of the other herbs as they grow but for now here is what it all looks like.


*We have a few marigolds in there to keep bugs away.


CHIVES (isn't it huge?!)
***Needless to say it smells amazing when you're standing over that garden!

* a shot of the above ground plants. the brick wall is still being finished.

I used all 3 for lunch today, i made a yummy spicy pasta & it was delish!

More about these spices in my home:

I adore chives in just about anything so its beyond useful & budget friendly to have them growing outside your door.

Then oregano which means 'joy of the mountain' in Greek is the joy of our dinner table so many nights, adding its distinct flavor to pasta, meats, bread, sauces, & more.
Thyme is a pretty plant in my opinion & adds incredible flavor to many dishes, just throw a few sprigs in the crock pot with what ever meat dish you have in there & its great.

So i will update on my herb garden probably in a few weeks when things are really growing.

Anyone else have an herb garden? If so whats in it?

~SassyAgapi

No comments:

Post a Comment