Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Adventures in Greece: Ouzo Candy

Γεια σας,
I've been dreaming about Greece a lot lately, I miss being there very much. I've been talking to friends I made there; making me miss it more!

So a little story from Athens;
Myself, my roommates, and a few girls from our program went shopping/exploring in the Monastiraki/Plaka area where we found a cute little shop pretty much geared towards tourists (as are many shops, but hey we had gifts to buy) and the woman that owned it was so sweet and genuine the second we started speaking to her in Greek (not that she wasn't nice before lol). When we would talk to people in Greek they generally, with the exception of one woman on the island, treated you like family (love).
Well this woman in all her sweetness gave us ouzo candy after the exchange of the usual pleasantries (where is your family from? the response of "I have a cousin there", where are you staying? the response "my family has a house there". Don't get me wrong I love these pleasantries).
Yes it did taste like ouzo, just no where near as strong lol..very licorice-y of course. Not something I would sit there and snack on but I'm not a big candy person anyway.
The sweet woman then proceeded to give us directions to good shops & such and offered us a discount on some jewelry because we were Greek-American students, which by the way got us some nice discounts along the way!

-For those of you still curious about the not-so-friendly woman from the island, not a whole lot to the story but she worked at the local market and I always spoke to her in Greek (except when I couldn't think of the words for laundry detergent) and I always wished her well when I left; example: at the beginning of the week "Kali Evdomada" (Have a good week) and such. When I said that she went "Hmph"... hmph? ummm I was confused... though I do understand she sees a lot of tourists and they probably annoy her but I was not a tourist per say & I've been told my accent is good so it couldn't have been that bad. This bothered me because I had to shop there for 3 weeks and every time same deal..oh well!(I don't mean to highlight her she was a very small encounter in my amazing time there)
Besides her all the people I encountered were very friendly and enjoyable.  
More little stories an pictures to come.

-Here is a song my sister and I have been liking a lot lately, enjoy!






The lyric "Heaven doesn't seem so far away now" sure fits this picture, no?
 
 
Ellada, always be my favorite place on earth.
:)

 

Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment