Monday, February 22, 2010

Once Upon A Time In Egypt


Hey its SassyAgapi with my 1st blog!
Today I just wanted to talk about something I love and a new book I've been reading; ancient Egypt & the book The Heretic Queen by Michelle Moran. First I just want to say that I have a great love for all things ancient Egyptian & Greek, so when I heard of this book I was dying to read it! The book is centered on Nefertari, the orphan princess of Egypt & niece of Nefertiti who they call 'the Heretic Queen', because her husband (Pharaoh Ahkenaten) banished all gods except one(Aten) from Egypt. So many in Egypt have built up hate for her & her late family. You might know from history that she marries Ramesses(II) the Great, the book focuses on that a lot also. The only thing I don't like is that she has Ramesses with RED hair!??! Sorry but i cannot picture him without dark hair, but anyway... I'm not going to ruin the book for anyone but if you like Egypt, romance, & a good story I highly recommend The Heretic Queen.
So back to my love of Egyptian & Greek things, well first I am Greek & I love & am proud of my people's culture, history, & beauty, so that's a given. As far as ancient Egypt I have always been drawn to it, it fascinates me so much, just the mystery & adventure of it all. Oh & the clothes, jewelry, make-up, architecture, & decorations! :D Another thing I love about both are the names, here are some of my favorites:
Ramesses -Egyptian[male]
Asha-Egyptian[male]
Demetrius/Dimitrios-Greek[male]
Αlexandros-Greek[male]
Achilles-Greek[male]




Isis-Egyptian-'supreme throned one'
Iset-Egyptian-'(she) of the throne'
Nefertiri-Egyptian-'form of beautiful one'
Nefertari-Egyptian-'most beautiful'
Nefertirian-Egyptian-'another form of beautiful one' {nefer-teer-i-in}
Arsinoe-Greek(Αρσινη) [Egyptian Queen]- {arsin-o-ay}
Selini-Greek-'moon' (Σεληνη)
Briseis-Greek-(Βρισηις)
Eleftheria-Greek-'freedom'- (Ελευθερια)
Deianira-Greek-(Δηανειρα)



That's just a few lol!
*Note I did not add an accent to the Greek text*
But there are so many beautiful names its hard to pick just 1 or 2.
Here are some pictures of Greece & Egypt to end this post:





{Oh &  'Agapi Mou' means 'my love' in Greek, to anyone whos wondering}

No comments:

Post a Comment